25 Days of Christmas - Day 2: A Craft Paper Christmas

Day Two: A Craft Paper Christmas

Strolling through the aisles of wrapping paper at Christmas time can be super overwhelming.  I think of it as  choosing your Christmas logo for the year, and I don't know about you, but it can stress me out.  I don't know if I get overstimulated or what, but it is a process.  Please tell me that I'm not the only one who struggles with choosing the paper that will cover the gifts that have been so thoughtfully purchased for the people you love!  

This is how wrapping paper in the past has gone for me while searching for two rolls with coordinating colors and patterns...

"Hmmm... buffalo check is cute!  No.  That doesn't match the tree.  It would clash, and it's too trendy...Oh!  Little Santas!  I wish they had penguins...Why does it have to be blue?  It would be so much better in green... Maybe I should get the snowflakes.  Yeah!  Then, I could use any left over to wrap gifts for winter birthdays. Do I even know anyone with a winter birthday?  Is that Tweety Bird wrapping paper?  Is that even still on television?  I'll just get wrapping paper next time..."  

And so began the vicious cycle that only ended because time was up and I had to wrap gifts that day.  Most of the time in the car. On the way. While this may expose my neurotic tendencies, I need to know that I'm not alone.  Anyone else?  ...Bueller?

Growing up, I remember MB wrapping birthday gifts in the Sunday comic section of the newspaper.  I LOVED IT!  In fact, if I could get my hands on some Peanuts Christmas comics like these, that is exactly how I would wrap my niece and nephew's gifts!  I mean, you already know how I feel about nostalgia.  

I remember many times over the years when MB hand painted her own wrapping paper with holly leaves, Christmas trees, or snow flakes on brown craft paper that she had on hand.  It was beautiful, personal, and inexpensive.  For a craft fair last month, she even painted some sweet little gift bags.  I attempted to paint one, but it only ended with MB and I silent-head-back-laughing.  It was bad. I am no painter.  

Last Christmas, I decided to keep it simple and to stay out of Wal-Mart's wrapping paper aisle.  I took inspiration from my creative momma and some ideas I saw on Pinterest to DIY my wrapping.  And I must say it turned out AMAZING!  I had originally planned to just do craft paper and baker's twine, but it was just too simple.  Cute, but I didn't love it. 



So, I added happy little green trees using some mini clothespins, and I stenciled the first initial of the gift recipient on the front.  It took more time, but it was totally worth it!  For the first time, wrapping paper wasn't making me sweat or stress!  



And I even experienced a Christmas miracle...ALL of my presents were wrapped BEFORE Christmas Eve!    

When it comes to wrapping with craft paper, I think it is fun to make it your own (or don't! I put source links below if you'd like to use my idea this year yourself...I got you, girl.).  You could even let your children/grandchildren/neighbor kids/husband color and decorate the wrapping paper- this means less work for you, and they will feel so proud to have contributed!

Have you ever used craft paper to wrap a gift??  We'd love to hear/see what you've done!    

Sources:
I ordered this large roll of brown craft paper, this roll of bakers twine, these stencils, and these mini clothespins.  (I don't receive any commission or anything on these links, just here to help a sister (or brother) out.  A sweet friend of mine cut out some small green trees on her Cricut as a favor.     



Comments

  1. https://goo.gl/images/gLUiW7
    I did the same thing one year only because I saw this Elvis picture in one of his Christmas albums. I used glitter glue for the initials.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts