25 Days of Christmas - Day 7: Oranges in Stockings

Day Six: Oranges in Stockings

For as long as I can remember, I always found an orange at the bottom of my Christmas stocking.  This is a tradition that goes back a few generations in the Bluebird Girls' family.  Like many traditions, you never really question why your family does something until someone mentions they have never heard of it.  

It wasn't until my husband and I were filling our oldest daughter's stocking for the first time, and he asked why I was adding an orange, that I realized not everyone had this tradition.  He admitted that he had wondered each year at my side of the family's Christmas why my mom always put an orange in his stocking.  I explained that she had just always done it, and I knew that my Marmie had done it as well.  So, as far as I knew, it was just something we did and that was a good enough reason for me.  


The tradition came up again this year as I was talking with some women at Bible Study, and only about half of them had ever heard of the tradition of putting an orange in Christmas stockings.  This is when I finally decided to do a little research.

Apparently, St. Nicholas tossed three sacks of gold (some versions say gold balls) down a chimney to a family with three daughters.  None of them could marry, because they couldn't afford a dowry.  The gold landed in their stockings drying by the fire.  In order to honor this gift, oranges are placed in stockings as a symbol of the gold from St. Nick.

Some people cite this tradition as beginning during the depression when toys, candy, and money were hard to come by.  The luxury of an exotic fruit made for a special treat on Christmas morning.
  I can't help but think about how children today would react to receiving a humble orange as a replacement to toys, candy, and other gifts.  While I would never wish to experience a Great Depression, this does make me long to teach my children sincere gratitude for simple things in life.  

It reminds me to teach them to not get caught up in the culture of Christmas, 
but rather focus on the real reason for the season- 
Jesus.  
He came into this world in the most humble of ways 
to live a life focused on what really matters: 
loving God and loving others. 
And that, my friends, is what Christmas is all about.  
So, as you drop that orange in the toe of a stocking this Christmas, 
remember the simple things, 
remember Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts