25 Days of Christmas: Day 14 - Santa's Workshop and Scotcheroos

Day 14 - Santa's Workshop and Scotcheroos

Getting gifts wrapped before Christmas hasn't always been a strong suit of mine.  As you know from Day Two, I would often still be wrapping gifts in the car on the way.  This always created so much stress during the holidays.  When I had my first daughter, I knew I needed a change/plan...a Santa's Workshop, if you will.  So, I selected the best place I could think of- Marmie's house.  For the past three years, I've taken a carload of gifts up to my Marmie's to wrap.  It has been such a joy to share those evenings laughing with her, learning about our family, and watching Hallmark movies.  It is such a simple thing, but I look forward to it each year, and so does she.  Bonus: this year I managed to get all of our girls' gifts wrapped. Hallelujah!     

Getting gifts wrapped in advance has really allowed me to enjoy the holidays with less stress.  I have a friend who used to wait until Christmas Eve and wrap everything as she put it under the tree.  It totally worked for her!  Me?  I would definitely fall asleep and thus, ruin Christmas.  So thank goodness for Marmie's house...for her house and for her endless supply of wrapping sustenance...aka cookies, coffee, and scotcheroos...

My sweet Marmie...she is everything you could hope for in a grandmother.  Her love language is food, she always has a little something for you, and she thinks you hang the moon...and truthfully, you can't help but think the same about her.  In college, during finals week, she would send my roomie/best friend and I a care package full of yummy cookies and goodies perfect for late night studying.  The two of us ended up eating an entire Christmas tin of scotcheroos in less than three days...and we weren't even embarrassed.  Since then, I always look for them at our annual family Christmas party at her house, and Amy still asks about them.  Christmas, Marmie, and scotcheroos... you can't have one without the other.  

Last night, I asked Marmie to write her recipe down for me.  I think there is something so special about getting a recipe from someone in their own handwriting.  I'll cherish this piece of paper, and I look forward to the many Christmases in my future making scotcheroos...always with her in mind.  I have no doubt that these delicious sweets will make their way into a care package to my daughters and grandchildren one day.  For now, however, I'll just enjoy them straight from her kitchen.     



Comments

Popular Posts