Canning Tomatoes: Preserving food and tradition.

 Mom (MB) has always canned....beans, tomatoes, jams, sauces, bloody mary mix... you name it, she's canned it.  Growing up I never had an interest in canning.  I figured they already had food in cans at the grocery store, so why waste your time?  As I have gotten older, I have gained such an appreciation of tradition. It feels like such a blessing and a privilege to learn how to do something from my mother that she learned from hers and she learned from hers.  Plus, feeding my children food from their grandmother's organic garden is just the icing on the cake! 


MB has been planting her garden using the "Back to Eden" gardening technique for the past few years now, and she has been abundantly successful.  A few weeks ago when all of her tomatoes were ready to be picked, she invited me over learn how to can tomatoes.  It was way easier than I anticipated - even with numerous breaks to entertain two energetic little girls and a very sweet three month old baby boy.  Here is a step by step break down of how to do it!  I know you "CAN."  Get it

CANNING TOMATOES

Step One: Cut an X in the end of a tomato.  

This will help make it easier to peel the skins.





Step Two: Blanch tomatoes in boiling water until the skin starts to wrinkle.  

This takes less than 2 minutes.  Don't leave them in too long or they get mushy.





Step Three: Transfer tomatoes into an ice bath.

This makes the skins just fall off.





Step Four: Peel the skins off




Step Five:  Cut off the ends and quarter the tomatoes



Step Six:  Put the tomatoes in jars

You will have to push the tomatoes down into the jar.  
Prepare yourself: the noise this makes rival the biggest of whoopee cushions.





Step Seven:  Push a few basil leaves right into the center of the jar




Step Eight:  Use the end of a spatula to push out air bubbles. 

Be sure to get ALL air bubbles out.




Step Nine:  Add 1/4 tsp of citric acid or 1 tsp of lemon juice





Step Ten:  Add 1 tsp of pickling salt



Step Eleven:  Place jars into a water bath canner for 45 minutes 

or a pressure canner for 25 minutes




We had fun canning together, and I love that we continued the mother-daughter tradition in our family.  Even though canning tomatoes could have gone faster without my three little bluebirds in attendance, I'm so glad I brought them.  I want my girls to have memories of their mom and grandmother canning together...preserving food and tradition. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll get the opportunity to host my grandchildren while I teach their moms how to can...hopefully I will be able to do it with grace and patience of MB.  She and her tomatoes are the best.  













Comments

Popular Posts